Saturday, February 13, 2010

09-10 Oscars Preview Continued: Best Supporting Actress

Best Supporting Actress
- Penelope Cruz (Nine) – At this point, she’s reached the hotness category where it’s impossible to tell if she’s any good because you’re so enchanted by how gorgeous she is that there’s no divining any acting talent. In an age when there were fewer stars, she’d be our Marilyn Monroe. I thought she was the only saving grace in an otherwise awful movie.
- Vera Farmiga (Up in the Air) – Didn’t just hold her own, beat Clooney at his own game. I have to admit, I love Vera Fermiga. I loved her in The Departed. I’m worried she’s getting started too late because she’s really good. She plays a real woman well. There are so few of those parts that get written that I’m worried she’s got no future. Here’s hoping.
- Maggie Gyllenhaal (Crazy Heart) – David Shula coached the Bengals for a while. Having a famous last name doesn't mean you're any good.
- Anna Kendrick (Up in the Air) – Nice job kid. I don’t know if you have a future but I like you.
- Mo’nique (Precious) – Oprah made us do it.
WILL WIN: Farmiga. See “Clooney Year, et al.”
SHOULD WIN: Farmiga. I think this is the year the Oscars gets some things right.

No comments: