Saturday, November 14, 2009

Day 7 of the 90's Review: Most Tolerable Rom-Com/Love Story, Best Horror Pic, Best Western. 2 Genres I don't like that exploded in the 90's into cash cows, 1 that's almost dead that I do like.

Most Tolerable Romance/Romantic Comedy of the Decade:
NOMINEES:
French Kiss
Jerry Maguire
Shakespeare In Love
There’s Something About Mary
The Wedding Singer
WINNER: Jerry Maguire. Gosh, these movies are downright watchable. Maybe I shouldn't bag on this genre so much.

Best Horror Pic of the Decade:
The Blair Witch Project
I Know What You Did Last Summer
Scream
Sleepy Hollow
Tremors
WINNER: Scream. Sleepy Hollow isn't scary, just Tim Burton weird.

Best Western of the Decade:
NOMINEES:
City Slickers
Maverick
The Quick and the Dead
Tombstone
Unforgiven
WINNER: Tombstone. No contest. I love westerns, it's a shame there's so few good ones these days. Of these films, 2-3 are comedies. I know we're supposed to sacrifice our first born before Clint Eastwood making a western, but really, Tombstone is a much better movie, even factoring in the lame love story. Kurt Russell had a pretty solid 90's for a guy who doesn't really seem like a star.

No comments: