Sunday, November 22, 2009

3. Miller’s Crossing – CRITICS SAID: 76th. I SAY: Possibly the best written film ever. The best Coen brothers’ movie, a very adult, very intellectual gangster movie that’s secretly a love story. Again, acting great, cinematography great, soundtrack great. I’m tempted to have it first, but I have to factor in that it made no impact. All that said, I love how the movie essentially revolves around a guy who talks...so each scene is almost entirely dialogue. He brings nothing to the table but his head, he's routinely beaten up and he takes it without complaint. All of this only serves to highlight the brief spurts of action. My one complaint is that I've never thought the actress who played Verna was up to the role. OK, one other complaint - Gabriel Byrne occasionally drops the accent.

No comments: