Saturday, March 01, 2014

My favorite movies of 2013

My favorite movies of the year

10. Thor: The Dark World - About halfway through the movie, I turned to no one in particular and said, "Is it just me, or is this really good?"
9. The Great Gatsby - Some things are better off as novels, so this is the best Gatsby you're going to get. I think Luhrman missed out by not bringing it forward into our era the way he did with Romeo & Juliet.
8. Rush - It's good. Hemsworth ruining the reporter who goes after his rival's private life is one of the year's best scenes. But it loses points for me because if you saw Senna, which you must, then you realize that the producers saw that movie and decided to make a movie version, based on another rivalry, and with a happier ending. So if you don't have time for two movies, pick Senna.
7. Inside Llewyn Davis - I warned you I was wrong.
6. Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues - I'm counting the brilliant advertising campaign, which increased Dodge Durango sales by 60%, proving that 60% of the time, it works every time. I never tire of this character. Maybe I was laughing alone, but you'll be laughing with me in a few years.
5. Don Jon - Gets a little too heady for its own good at the end. Still, solid flick.
4. Her
3. The World's End - I require one Simon Pegg/Nic Frost buddy movie a year.
2. American Hustle
1. The Wolf of Wall Street

HONORABLE MENTIONS: 12 Years a Slave, About Time, Blue Jasmine, Fast & Furious 6, Gravity, Now You See Me, Star Trek: Into Darkness, The Wolverine, This is the End

The movies that technically came out in 2012 except there was no way to actually see them, and therefore I liked them in 2013:
The Gatekeepers
Joss Whedon's Much Ado About Nothing


No comments: